Millions of Americans suffer from neck pain that may interact with their lives. Neck pain may be caused by a variety of underlying conditions and may require at-home treatments, serious medical intervention, or a combination of these. Discover more about the origin of your neck pain and how you could find relief through neck traction.
The Basics on Neck Pain
Cervical pain refers to any pain in the neck and shoulder area with varying intensity and sensation. It can be acute or chronic, with acute pain lasting days to weeks and chronic pain lasting months and years. Pain in the neck could stay in one area (axial pain) or “travel” (radicular pain). Those suffering from neck pain may experience the following:
- Sore muscles
- Tight muscles
- Spasming muscles
- Burning sensation
- Stabbing sensation
- Tingling sensation
What Causes Neck Pain?
Various activities, accidents, and conditions can cause neck pain, such as:
- Hunching forward at a desk for an extended time
- Driving or sitting for long periods
- Carrying heavy bags or purses on one or both shoulders
- Heavy physical activity
- Trauma (from an accident or fall)
- Herniated discs/disc degeneration
- Pinched nerves or bone spurs
Severe pain will require a visit to a physician to determine the underlying cause of the pain and it may require medical intervention. If the pain is mild to moderate, it may be treatable at home with rest and self-care. Some home treatment options recommended include:
- Rest (stop doing whatever it is that caused the pain or take a break from certain physical activities for a while)
- Take over-the-counter pain relievers such as NSAIDs
- Ice/Heat (or alternating both)
- Neck stretches, including neck traction
What is Neck Traction?
Traction of the spine, known as cervical traction, is a treatment for neck pain. Cervical traction works by pulling the head away from the neck, creating expansion and eliminating compression. The slow stretch allows muscles to relax, spinal decompression, and the release of pinched nerves. This treatment is both highly effective and fast-acting. It may help people avoid the need for medication or surgeries when used regularly as a part of a physical therapy treatment or at home.
Benefits of Neck Traction
Those that have tried neck traction have experienced the following benefits from the treatment:
- Reduced Pain - The traction devices work to suspend your neck into relaxing, helping the muscles breathe and relieving pain.
- Decreased Stiffness
- Increased Mobility
- Improved Posture - Relief from tight muscles or pinched nerves may help improve your overall posture and prevent future pain.
- Better Sleep - Neck traction could help you find a comfortable pillow position and relax deeper into sleep without neck pain or discomfort.
- Reduced or eliminated need for medication
- Decreased stress - Patients no longer experience stress associated with dealing with any stiffness, soreness, or tension headaches related to neck pain.
3 Methods for Cervical Traction
These are the three ways cervical traction can be done:
- Manual Cervical Traction - This requires the help of a physical therapist. While you are lying down, they will gently pull the head away from the neck for an extended period of time before releasing and repeating.
- Mechanical Cervical Traction - This method also requires a physical therapist. They will attach a harness to your head and neck as you are lying flat on your back. The harness hooks up to a system that applies traction force to pull the head away to create expansion.
- At-Home Cervical Traction Devices - Over-the-door devices or options that attach to doorknobs are offered for home use. These often require you to attach your head and neck to the harness and a weighted pulley system that goes over the door or a bungee that provides an ideal amount of force will pull the head away from the neck. These can often be done while sitting, leaning back, or lying down.
There are a variety of methods for cervical traction that can be done at home or with the help of a physical therapist. Start by discussing the best method to suit your needs with your doctor or physical therapist. They can make sure you’re doing the best treatment, help measure your progress, and adjust your therapy as needed.
Choose the Best At-Home Neck Traction Device
If you are opting for an at-home neck traction device, it is essential that you choose one that is effective, affordable, lightweight, and simple to set up. Fisher Traction checks all of these boxes.
Our device features a patented negative G-force technology bungee that easily attaches to a door handle to provide the ideal 40 pounds of traction on the neck. This creates a pulling force that provides decompression of the spine. The bungee offers neck traction at a safe 30-degree angle as opposed to other home devices that thrust the head forward at an unhealthy 50-degree angle.
Our neck traction device is also designed with a Release Strap to intermittently pull, temporarily releasing the stretch and allowing the discs to absorb any spinal fluids that entered during the stretching period to result in long-term decompression.
Who Can Use the Fisher Traction Device?
The Fisher Traction device can be used by anyone hoping to maintain a healthy spine and relieve mild to moderate neck pain. Our device is safe and easy to use and you do not need permission or a prescription from your doctor. Cervical traction is especially recommended for those with herniated discs, pinched nerves, a sedentary lifestyle, muscle tightness, neck or back pain, and posture issues.
If you have a serious spinal condition or your symptoms worsen with use, please consult your doctor. Please follow the directions included along with any warning labels on the device itself.
About Dr. Fisher
Dr. Fisher, the creator of the Fisher Traction device, believes that everyone should have access to simple and effective solutions for pain relief and long-term health. He handcrafted the first prototype of what is now one of the safest, strongest, and most effective neck traction devices available for at-home use.
Order a Neck Traction Device Today
Ready to reduce your neck pain and discover the incredible benefits of neck traction? Buy a traction device now and enjoy a 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee.